- Rowing: Sophie Hosking announces retirementPosted 21 hours ago
- Paralympics: GB team named for IPC World Athletics ChampionshipsPosted 22 hours ago
- Football: England Women visit Burton SchoolsPosted 22 hours ago
Recipe: British asparagus, broad bean, mint and mozzarella bruschetta
It’s National Vegetarian Week from May 21-27, so why not give this delicious British asparagus, broad bean, mint and mozzarella bruschetta recipe a go?
Asparagus is one of Britain’s most celebrated vegetables and May is in the heart of the season, so this is a perfect veggie starter for this time of year.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves 4 as a starter or snack
300g podded and shelled broad beans
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil plus an extra drizzle at the end
1 lemon, juiced
A handful mint leaves, saving a few small ones back to garnish
Salt and pepper for seasoning
100g British asparagus, cut in half lengthways
4 slices rustic white bread, such as sourdough
1 garlic clove, peeled but left whole
1 small ball (approx.150g) of really good buffalo mozzarella, roughly torn
1. Cook the broad beans in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain, refresh under cold water, drain again, then peel from their skins.
2. Use the back of a fork to roughly crush the beans with the olive oil and lemon juice, then stir through the mint. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Cook the British asparagus in boiled salted water for 1 to 2 minutes and drain under cold water too.
4. Heat a griddle pan, toast the bread on both sides, then rub with the garlic clove. Spoon some of the beans over each slice of bread, scatter over the British asparagus, mint and mozzarella and drizzle with more olive oil to serve.
For more info visit www.british-asparagus.co.uk
The Women’s Sports Magazine