21 March 2017

UEFA Women’s Champions League: Glasgow City 1–1 Valur Reykjavik

October 3, 2011

The first ever UEFA Women’s Champions League match on Scottish soil ended in a 1-1 draw as Glasgow City were held at home by Icelandic side Valur Reykjavik.

Valur defence actionPlaying in front of over seven hundred people, Glasgow City impressed in the early stages as they created several chances in front of goal.

With the match starting off at a frantic pace, both sides were afforded a lot of space down the wings. The first clear cut opportunity fell to City forward Lisa Evans who spurned a chance to give the Glasgow side a dream start. It was not long before the Icelandic defence were undone again, and this time Evans made no mistake in front of goal, calmly slotting the ball beyond Megan McCray in the Valur goal.

Valur were content to sit back and allow Glasgow much of the possession after the opener. The Scottish side used the freedom allowed to them to create another gilt-edged opportunity as Evans again found space in behind the Icelandic defence. However the forward was unable to capitalise on another chance for Glasgow City, shooting tamely into the arms of McCray.

The Valur net was threatened again two minutes later, when Jane Ross turned quickly on the edge of the area before curling a shot towards the top corner which was acrobatically saved by the visiting goalkeeper.

Not content with a one goal lead, the Glasgow side continued to press and after Evans saw another chance come and go, she was then denied her second goal of the night by the referee. With the forward bearing down on goal, a foul was spotted by the Portuguese official and the goal was ruled out.

With the first half nearing an end it was the away sides’ turn to cause panic amongst the Glasgow defence as a long range Hólmfríður Magnúsdóttir free kick crashed against the underside of the crossbar, before the danger was cleared and the half came to a close.

Half Time Glasgow City 1-0 Valur Reykjavik.

While the first half was action packed, the second half failed to live up to the high standard set in the opening 45 minutes. As the game became scrappier, neither side was able to stamp their authority in the early stages of the second half.

After an uneventful start to the half, Valur grabbed the vital away goal, in bizarre circumstances. The Icelandic side were awarded an indirect free kick ten yards from goal after City ‘keeper Claire Johnstone was adjudged to have illegally picked up a backpass. Glasgow were made to rue this error as Mist Edvardsdóttir’s shot was turned in by Laufey Ólafsdóttir six yards from goal.

The game opened up after the equaliser, but as the game wore on neither side could fashion a clear goal scoring chance. The only opportunity of note for Glasgow City was a 20 yard free kick that Christie Murray could only fire over the bar.

Despite neither side being able to find the elusive winner to take into next week’s return tie in Reykjavik, Eddy Wolecki Black, was quick to highlight his sides’ ability to create chances on the night, and the Glasgow City Head Coach was upbeat over the possibility of his side finishing the job in Iceland.

Glasgow City FC
Sportsister, The Women’s Sports Magazine

Image: Andy Buist

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

Select a sport

Find out how to get started, training plans and expert advice.