Are you joining the Sportsister team at one of the two Cycletta cycling events this autumn? Here are our top tips to make sure you are ready for race day.
1. Make sure you taper your training so that you do your longest/hardest sessions a couple of weeks before the event. Then ease off and just complete lighter sessions, this way you won’t be sore or tired at the start line.
2. Take your bike to your local cycle shop to get it checked over. Get them to look at your gears and brakes to ensure everything is in good working order.
3. Read though your Cycletta race pack information so you know how to get to the event, and what time you need to leave home. The worst thing is to be rushing, worrying that you are late or lost on the morning of the event. Aim to arrive at least 60 minutes before your start time.
4. A couple of days before the event make yourself a checklist of all the gear you need. This gives you enough time to buy anything that you may have forgotten. Don’t forget some safety pins to fasten your race number to your top.
5. The day before the event go for a very short, steady cycle, around 10 minutes on the flat will be fine. This will just keep your legs ticking over without tiring yourself out.
6. Make sure you are fully hydrated before the event. The day before Cycletta try and drink plenty of water and keep this up right until the start. There are drinks and snack stations en route to ensure you keep your hydration and nutrition levels maintained during your ride too.
7. The night before lay out the kit you are going to wear, including your helmet, so you don’t forget anything when setting off early for the event. Make sure you have cycled in the kit you choose to wear before, you don’t want to try out anything new on race day or it could end in blisters and chaffing – not fun!
8. Enjoy a carbohydrate filled meal the night before to boost your energy stores. Pasta is classic pre race fuel.
Louise Hudson, Sportsister
The Women’s Sports Magazine