- Rowing: The Henley Women’s RegattaPosted 3 hours ago
- Shot Put: Sophie McKinna gets ready for senior debutPosted 3 hours ago
- Tennis: Brits out of Aegon InternationalPosted 4 hours ago
Are you ready for the Gold Challenge?
A quick straw poll round the Sportsister office found that one of the best training motivators is to set yourself a challenge. Agree? Well this is the gold standard of challenges.
If you are looking for the perfect opportunity to have a go at all those sports you’ve always wanted to try your hand at, but never got around to doing then read on. Because Gold Challenge offers you exactly that chance.
Do you watch the British cycling team and fancy a go in the velodrome? Or maybe it’s a multi sport event like modern pentathlon or triathlon that excites you? Perhaps it’s the water that you love – sailing, swimming, diving or maybe canoeing? Maybe it’s all of these and more…
What is the challenge?
You are challenged to choose from 5, 10, 20 or 30 sport challenges set by the Gold Challenge team. You can either learn new sports, or push your boundaries and take on challenges in more familiar activities. And the great thing about it is that anyone can do the Gold Challenge regardless of physical ability, fitness or location. It’s all about creating a challenge that’s personal to you and that people will sponsor you for completing.
With the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games just around the corner, this is a great opportunity to be part of the excitement in the run up to the Games. You’ll have until the end of 2012 to complete your sports and if you prefer you can do it as part of a team. And with over 120 charity partners to fundraise for you can raise money for some great causes.
How to get started
- Head online to www.goldchallenge.org and register, you’ll need to specify your chosen charity and also how many sports challenges you are aiming to complete.
- You’ll then need to set up a fundraising page through JustGiving.com or VirginMoneygiving.com
- Finally you need to select your challenge sports and start your challenges. Each sport has pre-set challenges tailored to all levels and points are earned upon completion. You then record your completed sports and how many points you scored using the Event Tracker and see how you compare in the Challenge League Tables.
Sportsister’s Gold Challenge suggestions
These were the most popular choices in the Sportsister office…..
1. Cycling – mountain biking
2. Athletics – marathon
6. Water polo
What will you choose?
*If you are taking part in the Gold Challenge we’d love to hear from you. We are looking for a Sportsister reader who would like to write about their Gold Challenge experience for Sportsister.com. Just drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us why you would like to get involved and which sports you’ll be taking part in for your challenge.*
Louise Hudson, Sportsister
The Women’s Sports Magazine