The 5th IWG World Conference on Women and Sport is to held at Sydney Convention and Exhibition Centre, from May 20-23, 2010.
The IWG is thrilled to announce that registrations to date represent delegates from over 45 different countries.
Ms. Rachel Mayanja, Assistant Secretary-General, United Nations and Special Advisor on Gender Issues and the Advancement of Women, will present a keynote address at the Conference.
Her presence will highlight the progress the IWG hasmade over the past three years in connecting the women’s sport movement with relevant divisions of the United Nations.
The Patron-in-Chief of the Conference, The Honourable Quentin Bryce, Governor General will speak at the Opening Ceremony on Thursday 20th May.
In addition, a great line-up of high profile national speakers from government and industry have been secured including:
• Elizabeth Broderick, Sex Discrimination Commissioner, Australian Human Rights Commission
• Peter Holmes à Court, Chairman of White Bull Holdings, Co-owner (with Russell Crowe) of the South Sydney Rabbitohs
• Moya Dodd, Board member Football Federation Australia and Vice-President Asian Football Confederation
• The Hon Kate Ellis, Federal Minister for Sport
• Justin Holdforth, Head of ABC TV Sport and Events
• The Hon Michael Kirby, former Justice of the High Court of Australia
• Kate Palmer, CEO Netball Australia
The Conference Ambassador Programme was launched recently and is spear-headed by the legendary Cathy Freeman who will attend the Opening Ceremony and several other fine female athletes from a wide range of sports.
The event kicks off on Thursday 20 May with an Opening Ceremony featuring an all-female indigenous performance and a keynote address by Ms. Rachel Mayanja and the Governor General.
The International Working Group on Women and Sport (IWG) is an independent coordinating body consisting of representatives of key government and non-government organisations. It aims to be a catalyst for the advancement and empowerment of women and sport globally.
For further information and to register for the conference please visit: www.iwg-gti.org
Louise Hudson, Sportsister
The Women’s Sports Magazine